Mission San José de Tumacácori is one of three Spanish missions protected as part of Tumacácori National Historical Park. Tumacácori is the oldest mission in Arizona, and is among more than 20 missions established by Jesuit Father Eusebio Francisco Kino. Established in 1691, it initially served as a visita, or visiting station, of the head mission of Los Santos Ángeles de Guevavi. It was moved to its present site following the Pima rebellion of 1751 and later became the cabacera, or head mission, in 1776 until its eventual abandonment duing the winter of 1848.