In the summer of 1868, civilian workers in exchange for medical care built a temporary hospital at Fort Davis. Although roughly constructed of adobe with a mud roof, dirt floors, and window frames covered with cotton cloth, the building was considered comfortable and fulfilling. During the early 1870s, however, as this make-shift hospital required more and more repairs, various post surgeons petitioned for a new facility. A permanent hospital was constructed in 1876, built of adobe on a stone foundation with wooden floors and a tin roof that did not leak. This new structure contained one ward for twelve beds, and an administrative section that housed the post surgeon’s office, dispensary, linen room, storeroom, kitchen, dining room, isolation room and the hospital steward’s room. The hospital was expanded in 1884 with the addition of a 12-bed ward on the south end of the building.