Casa Grande Ruins National Monument
Casa Grande Ruins National Monument preserves an ancient Hohokam farming community and "Great House," a multistoried, earthen-walled structure surrounded by the remains of smaller buildings and a compound wall. The Great House was constructed by the Hohokam people, who farmed the Gila Valley of south-central Arizona from ca. AD 300 to 1450. Created as the nation’s first archeological reserve in 1892, the 472-acre site was declared a national monument in 1918. Casa Grande Ruins NM is located in Pinal County, Arizona, just north of the town of Coolidge. The desert biotic community is dominant in this low-elevation park.
Casa Grande Ruins National Monument is also part of the American Southwest Virtual Museum, a digital repository of photographs, maps, information, and virtual tours.